You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Synchronized Fireflies -- Awesome!

    
     Went to the Congaree National Park in Hopkins, SC (about 30 minutes from Columbia) from 8-10 p.m. to see the synchronized fireflies.
     Truly AMAZING!!! More fireflies than I've ever seen in my life. My sister and I walked along the boardwalk and then stood for an hour watching the phenomenon.
     There were lots of people, but most everyone was whispering and being respectful by using red flashlights (instead of the white ones, which scare the fireflies away). This happens once a year, usually between the last two weeks of May and first two weeks of June, for about two weeks. When I called the Park Ranger to check, he said the fireflies are more active this year than he's seen in a long time.
      How many of you caught "lightnin' bugs" in a jar when you were a child?

        I have a scene in my post-Revolutionary novel, Laurel, when my main characters are swimming in a waterfall pool and see thousands of fireflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment